Essentials of Research Administration (ERA)
The ERA certification series provides on-campus training and certification for research administrators and other support staff who have responsibilities for research proposals, grants, contracts, pre- and post-award administration and related activity at Michigan State University.
This training is provided at no cost.
2019 ERA Series
Online registration is available at www.ora.msu.edu/train.
01/15/19 - Core 1: Pre-Award, Part 1
01/22/19 - Core 2: Pre-Award, Part 2
03/05/19 - Core 3: Post-Award, Part 1
03/05/19 - Core 4: Post-Award, Part 2
03/12/19 - Core 5: Compliance
04/09/19 - Beginner's Hands-On Budgeting in KC
04/23/19 - Proposal Development in KC
05/07/19 - Advanced Hands-On Budgeting
06/04/19 - Human Research Protection Requirements
06/18/19 - Clinical Trials & Clinical Research Compliance
07/16/19 - Beginner's Hands-On Budgeting in KC
07/30/19 - Effort Reporting & Other Direct Cost Documentation
08/20/19 - Post Award Receivable Process & Financial Transactions
09/17/19 - Proposal Development in KC
10/01/19 - Departmental Post-Award Account Management
10/08/19 - Beginner's Hands-On Budgeting in KC
10/15/19 - Purchasing
10/29/19 - Fee-for-Service & Service Centers
11/07/19 - Animal Care & Use Requirements
11/12/19 - NIH & NSF Agency Specifics
11/19/19 - Reporting & Data Collection
12/10/19 - Hot Topics
International Research I
International Research II
Contracts and Other Agreements
To register for one of the above eLearning courses, please email Jennifer Lafferty (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Shannon Lutz (email@example.com) to be added to the course in D2L and receive further instructions on ERA credits.
Initial Certification Requirements
Participants in the ERA program must complete the following requirements within two (2) calendar years to earn the ERA certificate:
- Attend all 5 Cores AND a minimum of 3 Electives
- This initial certificate will be valid for two (2) calendar years, beginning in the year the participant began attending ERA sessions.
In order to maintain your ERA certification status, continuing education of 2 Elective credits (or equivalent approved research-related training credits; see below) is required every calendar year (after the initial certification period). Recertification credit options are as follows:
- Attend 2 MSU ERA Electives every calendar year after your initial certificate end-date, and every calendar year thereafter.
- Attend one of the following SPROUT approved conferences or training programs (local, regional or national) and send proof of attendance or successful completion to Jenny Lafferty at firstname.lastname@example.org in Sponsored Programs Administration:
- National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA)
- Society of Research Administrators (SRA)
- Grant Professionals Association (GPA)
- National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
- Obtain your Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certificate through the Research Administrators Certification Council (RACC)
- Attend SpartanRAN meetings to receive 1/2 Elective credit for each meeting attended
- Attend GRAND Forum meetings to receive 1/2 Elective credit for each meeting attended
- If you would like an alternative research related training option considered for recertification credit, please send a request to the SPROUT Training Subcommittee Chair, Jenny Lafferty (email@example.com).
- Sponsored Program Research Opportunities and University Training (SPROUT)
- Senior Vice President for Research and Innovation (SVPRI)
External Training Opportunities
- Financial Research Administration (FRA): March 2-3, 2020 - San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Pre-Award Research Administration (PRA): March 5-6, 2020 - San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Region IV Spring Meeting: April 26-29, 2020 - St. Pete Beach, FL
- Annual Meeting: August 2020 - Washington, DC