Essentials of Research Administration (ERA)
This program provides on-campus training and certification for research administrators and other support staff who have responsibilities for research proposals, grants, contracts, pre- and post-award administration and related activity at Michigan State University.
This training is provided at no cost.
2017 ERA Series
The 5 Cores will take place in September/October 2017 followed by a very limited number of Electives, due to the Research Administration Project (Kuali-Coeus) Go-Live in April 2017 and the training surrounding this launch.
09/26/17 - Core 1: Pre-Award, Part 1
10/03/17 - Core 2: Pre-Award, Part 2
10/17/17 - Core 3: Post-Award, Part 1
10/24/17 - Core 4: Post-Award, Part 2
11/07/17 - Core 5: Compliance
11/14/17 - International Research
11/28/17 - Departmental Post-Award Account Management
12/12/17 - Hot Topics
NEW ERA Registration System
Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) is pleased to announce the new online registration system for the Essentials of Research Administration (ERA) Certification Series is now LIVE! This system is available on the SPA website (instead of through EBS), and all 2017 classes are now posted here: https://cga.msu.edu/PL/ERA/ERAPortal.aspx. You will need to login with your MSU NetID (with two-factor authentication) to access the Course Catalog & Registration information. A “Help” tab is also available with registration instructions and contact information for further assistance.
Initial Certification Requirements
Participants must complete the following requirements within two (2) years to receive the initial ERA certificate:
- Attend all 5 Cores AND a minimum of 3 Electives
- Your certificate will be valid for 2 calendar years, beginning in the year you started the series.
In order to keep your certification active, please see the following options:
- Complete three (3) ERA electives within two (2) calendar years after your initial certificate end-date, and every two (2) calendar years thereafter.
- Attend one of the following SPROUT approved conferences or training programs (local, regional or national) every two (2) calendar years and send proof of attendance or successful completion to Jenny Lafferty (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Shannon Lutz (email@example.com) in Sponsored Programs Administration:
- National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA)
- Society of Research Administrators (SRA)
- Grant Professionals Association (GPA)
- National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
- Obtain your Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certificate through the Research Administrators Certification Council (RACC)
- Attend SpartanRAN meetings to receive 1/2 elective credit for each meeting attended.
- If you would like an alternative research related training option considered for recertification credit, please send a request to the SPROUT Training Subcommittee Co-Chairs: Jenny Lafferty (firstname.lastname@example.org) and MaryJo Banasik (email@example.com).
- Sponsored Program Research Opportunities and University Training (SPROUT)
- Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies (VPRGS)
External Training Opportunities
- Financial Research Administration (FRA): March 1-3, 2018 - San Juan, PR
- Pre-Award Research Administration (PRA): March 3-5, 2018 - San Juan, PR
- Region IV Spring Meeting: April 15-18, 2018 - Des Moines, IA
- Annual Meeting: August 5-8, 2018 - Washington, DC